Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning Adventure 4 Part 2.2

Assignment:
So, How do the two questions differ as experiences? Why?What are the implications of this learning adventure given the continuous concern over using the Web as a credible source of information?Did any "less official" sites offer better information than more "official sites?"Why do you think I presented the two questions in the order I chose? Gary

Reaction:
How do the two questions differ as experiences? Why? For me, I would have to agree with what a number of my cadremates have said. I think it exposed biases we have in our own learning. Definitely, it was easier to take a side on Ned Kelly because he wasn't from the US and I had no prior background knowledge to access to assist me in my search. With the Chicago Seven, however, I had plently of background knowledge although not directly related to the Chicago Seven but nonetheless gave me contextual support to start my search with.

What are the implications of this learning adventure given the continuous concern over using the Web as a credible source of information? I think using the web for searching for information put me in the seat that most of my students occupy when I give them research projects. How do evelaute each and every source. Time plays an issue with this as well getting the research done on time while fact checking what sources have to say versus other sources. I always like starting with Wikipedia because of the external links it provides. I think credibility is always difficult to determine but double checking authorship and reading from multiple places assists in the research discovery.

Did any "less official" sites offer better information than more "official sites?"
When I was researching the Ned Kelly adventure, I used many sites that would have been deemed less official, but somehow with the Chicago Seven I went to more official sites. It would be interesting I think to see now what we consider to be official versus less official sites.

Why do you think I presented the two questions in the order I chose?
I will agree with what others have said and feel that the Ned Kelly question let us assume more of a distance role of researcher since many of us had never heard of him before. Then with the Chicago Seven more of us had a connection with the events in our US past. Putting them in this order allowed us to see how we approach and process learning differently. For me, it also gave me some insight into characters that I can use alongside Beowulf ( epic hero) versus Ned Kelly (Australian folklore hero) versus Chicago Seven (historical heroes?)- I am not putting a lot of weight on the hero side of things with the Chicago Seven. But they all fit a loose description of epic heroes.

No comments: