Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Going back to school

I have been remiss in my blogging. I admit it. I can’t seem to find the time nor place to think about teaching. To take the time to reflect on what I am doing. It seems mostly as though I have not given myself permission to take a break. I really miss thinking about learning.

So, a few of weeks ago, I started looking into taking graduate school classes to do two things: one, give myself the permission and time to learn; and two, give myself a pay hike since for the next six years I won’t go anywhere on our pay scale. I found a program where I can design my curriculum with the help of another teacher. Luckily, I found a teacher who is a former Language Arts teacher and someone who teaches using technology. I am combining two aspects into my study: single gender education with boys and technology. 

Why? Well, for one, I am a sister of three brothers. I grew up in a male dominated household. I always had more boys that were friends than girls. I have two sons now, who dominate much of our household. Also, I have a husband, there’s another male. A dad- more male. Then, to top it all off, I teach a single gender class- ninth grade all boys. What would be more fitting than for me to study about being a better teacher, learner, parent, leader, coach and mentor, than for me to study about males.

 I am going to read a number of different books about boys. My former principal bought these books for me when I first started teaching single gender classes and I have not had the time to read them. Maybe the timing wasn’t right, but it is fitting in perfectly now. The books are the following:
 • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys –Dan Kindlon, Ph.D and Michael Thompson, Ph.D
 • The Wonder of Boys: What Parents, Mentors and Educators Can do to Shape Boys into Exceptional Men- Michael Gurian
• Misreading Masculinity: Boys, Literacy and Popular Culture- Thomas Newkirk
 • Bringing Up Boys: Practical Advice and Encouragement for those Shaping the Next Generation of Men-Dr. James Dobson
• Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood- William Pollack, PhD.

 I just finished Raising Cain. So, be on the lookout for my reflections and applications of what Kindlon and Thompson articulate regarding boys and meeting their emotional needs.

No comments: