Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lab

So today, I tried something new. I know, me?

I created a new blog for my Advanced Placement Chemistry Lab students. I had one group volunteer to keep a video/pictorial record of their actions in lab. I even allowed them to repeat the demonstrations that I did at the beginning of the class. One member of the group kept a typed record of what they were photographing/videotaping and then that student is going to send it to me tomorrow. What my plans are, and I need a little help figuring this out, is to post this information in a blog so that we have a record of all the things that we do this year. I just am not sure how easy it is to post video to a blog. Is there another format that I could try? Are there teachers out there that have done things like this already?

I know that when the wireless network is running I can hav ehte students post directly as they are doing the experiment, but what are some possible work arounds right now?

3 comments:

Karl Fisch said...

Take a look in your post editor in Blogger. About a month ago or so they added an "upload video" button. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful that it's not blocked by the filter (previously I would've told you to post to YouTube or GoogleVideo and then embed the link, but - at the moment at least - that's not possible).

Here's the details on the video Blogger will accept: We accept AVI, MPEG, QuickTime, Real, and Windows Media, 100 MB maximum size.

Hatak said...

Okay, so this gives me some idea of where to satart. How about the posting of the video? Should I do that or teach the studetns how to? Do I take some time from class? Or ask them to come in on thier own time?

lgaffney said...

What a great idea! I wonder if you could also use these in future classes; for example, instead of you doing a demonstration, your students could record theirs and this could be shown in latter years of teaching the same concept.
What a powerful message this would communicate about establishing a community of learners as opposed to the teacher always being the fountain of knowledge. Students may know those students appearing in the video and would imagine the possibility of future students seeing their video as they created their product.